"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done..."

Da Kat's Stuff
About Me
email me
MySpace
photos
My fotolog

blogs:
Tavie
MythBusters
Mikey + old site
Wil Wheaton

links:
iLounge
WWE
Bret Hart
Air America Radio
My Alma Mater
NYChill



template design based on Gina's webpage; done by Erin...

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Before you dog someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way when you do dog them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes...


Well, looking at the last post, I kinda turned into an alter ego or something. I felt just so horrible that night, it was unbelievable. I mean, why can't I just be like one of those playas on the music videos, man?
Ahh. Another day, another story, and some tidbits I thought I'd share with you:

On the 11th, I celebrated my third month-versary (now semi-anniversary) of the iPod by finally buying a new case for it: The Krusell Classic Case (the one with the zipper) with a swivel clip. On eBay, someone from Long Island was selling it for a starting bid of $13. I inquired on the which iPod model the case is designed for (my 10GB model being slimmer than the old 5 &10GB models and the new 20GB model); and his response came late. The auction ended with no bids, and he offered the case to me for $14 including shipping! Needless to say, I jumped on the offer. The case fits the old 5 &10GB models; so I had to apply a small piece of bubble tape (for shock absorption) on the backing, and...
Voila! It did the trick! I must admit, this mp3 player looks so official with the leather case.
A review of this case by the iPodlounge is found here.
And deep down, I wish I plunked out the extra $100 for the 20GB model, because the 10GB model is too slim for me...

Also folks, I remember mentioning that I was going to acquire the Sony MDRV700-DJ headphones for 100 bucks some time ago. Well, on the 13th, I finally did just that; and an interesting story has to accompany this fact. I've went around, pricing this monster in electronic stores. J&R and the Apple Store want $130 plus tax, The Wiz (going out of business, by the way; everything 10% off and more...) wants $135 plus tax. Meanwhile, eBay wants $115 plus shipping. I guess the $25 I pay at the stores is the price I pay for getting it now, versus waiting for it. In any event, I decided to go to the store I usually get my headphones from, a small rinky-dinky joint ran by cheap Jews on 6th Avenue & 13th Street. They didn't have it when I first went in, and told me to check back later, promising me a discount when I came back. I came back a couple of days later (the 11th), and to my dismay, they still didn't have it. I came back a couple of more days later (the 13th), and there was another problem. Oh they had it, but that wasn't the problem. They wanted $120. When I ask about the discount, they told me that was the discount. Remembering that was the original price they asked for when I went the first time, I quickly dismissed them, and prepared to fork $115 to eBay.
But something told me to shop around, and try my luck. Dragging my friend Brian (in his thug outfit), we went to several stores near the area, until we landed on another rinky-dink-joint on 14th Street. He quickly tells me of his bad experience in such a place; and I remind him that if anything happens, all I need is a receipt, and Sony handles the rest. We go inside and inquire; the salesman nonchalantly tells me $90 for the headphones. I immediately jump on the offer, but his shipment of new goods doesn't come til later. We waited, and when he saw the headphones, he realized he made one serious mistake; a mistake he tried to rectify. I hounded him on the fact we agreed to $90; in which he countered that after tax, it still almost $100, which was what he was asking me at that time. Brian, in a brilliant performance as the bad consumer, stuck to his $90 guns; I in another stunning good consumer performance, agreed to a flat $100. When we got to the register to pay however, there was a brand new obstacle to overcome! The cashier says he wants $109 for the item (with tax).
Okay. I know what you're thinking, $110. Versus $115 for something that won't arrive for days; versus almost $145 for getting the item now, I could afford to plunk out the extra $9. But not me; Brian & I, after stunning performances, were not about to lose the Oscar to Oscar. We stuck our guns in for as long as God permitted; until the original salesman came and said that he promised me $100 flat. In Russian (yes, I have friends in the Russian Connection...), the cashier asks him if he's crazy; the headphones are $150 in big-time stores! Between the salesman's accepted offer, and the cash that was right in front of him, I walked out of the store with a receipt that says I paid $100 for a $150 pair of headphones. So, what did I end up doing with the extra $10 I saved?? I bought pizza for me and Brian, that's what!
In telling that long story, I am enjoying my new headphones. The bass is booming, the trebles are correct, and the highs are hit. That's all I care about. The fact that the headphones are comfortable, single side corded, gold plugged, well cushioned, and used by Funkmaster Flex & Mademoiselle Sonachansingh are mere icings on the cake for me. My mother looks in utter astonishment; how a guy spends top dollar on headphones is beyond her. But to me, it's more than the headphones, it's an accomplishment; a milestone for consumers everywhere. A milestone that says we will not succumb to some rinky-dinky salesmen!!

On my iPod, now down to 2GB of space:
Loneliness, Sanchez

Come to think of it, something about that name, Sonachansingh. Says something of royalty, pure Trini-royalty. Okay, I am off the deep end.

Whatchusaid? Post a Comment